Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Legend of Quetzalcoatl

by Juan Alvarado

The air was cold and burned my soaked body as I crawled out of the dark green water. The murky mud was difficult to grip as I pulled myself out, my left arm screaming in torment staining the mud vivid red. I heard the water ripping apart like a piece of paper; the divine terror roared with anger that quaked the earth. I took a glance back and the yellow eyes glowed with thirst for blood as the roar of the monstrous beast showed its razor sharp teeth three times the size of the fangs of a jaguar. The magnificent creature stood 50 elbows high and as wide as the biggest of bears with a divine, incandescent build of a body with precious jade stones outlined with gold. The divine terror of the beast compels me to move, leaving myself vulnerable to an instant death and would I ever see my love again race through my mind.

She was the most beautiful woman my eyes ever had the grace of seeing her snowy skin and the glow of her silvery hair reflected the light of nature into her dark blue Eden eyes like the sun does in the purest of lakes. She was a goddess walking with men, and indeed she was the creation herself, the goddess Coatlicue. She graces us with her presence, to have her so close like a nurturing mother. I knew my feelings were wrong but I couldn’t help falling in love with her. She stayed in my mind for days, tempting my sinful love.

From time to time I felt like the dreams were real, eventually trying to link with me, a respond to my calling. We converse and walk through the green and abundant jungle without hiding our eternal love. We loved each other and sought ways to be together but the gods will never stand for a divine god loving a pitiful useless mortal. They would seek my destruction in life and a never-ending punishment for my soul in the underworld for such crime. Coatlicue loved me very much but breaking the ancient law carries severe consequences. She warns me that we had to stop, but even as a goddess love is a hard felling to reject. We couldn’t keep away from each other like a bee from a glorious orchid full of life. Eventually our love gave sprout, and her womb carried our joy and demise. We could no longer hide our florescent love from the gods.

The earth darkened with a nefarious mist that consumed everything it touched, draining the souls out of those unfortunate creatures that stand in its path. The mist was thick with an awful smell of sulfur like the torches in the temple. I looked into Coatlicue’s dark blue eyes now filled with despair. We both knew what was coming; the admonition of the gods was to strike upon us. The terror of not knowing how melted my soul. How could I protect my loved ones if I didn’t know what to expect? I was nothing more than a pitiful mortal, nothing more than a tan black-hair muscular Aztec. I could not let fear consume me, “I am a proud Aztec warrior and I will fight for those whom I love!” There can’t be any greater torture than losing my family. “I fear no god,” I yell at the top of my lungs. “I defy the will of the gods. “Strike me; I fear you not!”

The mist gave a roar that sent a chill down my spine but my motive kept me bold and ready for any challenge. In the distance I could see a gigantic serpent-like shadow swift through the intoxicating dark mist. I picked up my spear, sword, and shield and walked towards the mist with my heart racing, my body chilled with the fear in the air and my guts twist. I stood in front of the mist one corn field away as I saw everything die. I demanded the gods to show their pitiful selves to me, “Stop hiding like cowards show honor.”

Straight ahead I saw the shadow take a human-like form as it approached. It grew, and before me stood a titan of a man with a dark jade and gold plated armor with a majestic crown piece of a jaguar that seem bathed in gold. With a death serious expression in its face, his eyes were red like the flames of hell. He gave me a snare and said to me “Foolish mortal, you dare defy the will of the gods? Who do you think you are?” “I am Nauj a warrior full of hope and defender of my family,” I reply. “I fear you not god” I said. He laughed “I am the divine Quetzalcoatl, creator and destroyer of the world. You shall have no rest upon your soul if you defy my will.” I grunted in disgust and took my stand. He stood still studying me for a minute and finally spoke “There’s no need for a god to stain his hands with tainted blood of a useless mortal. I proposed to you a pact you. You will vow alliance to me and give up the life you made with Coatlicue and I shall spare you all.” I roared at him, “Never!”

He then stood still with a grip in his sword and said, “Then strike me fool and meet your end.” I rushed with my spear and shield at hand, I got a solid hit but when I looked at the end of the spear, it had not pierced. He grabbed the end of my spear and lifted me up 15 elbows and crushed me to the ground. The spear stood broken beside me. I felt the wind breaking and saw his mighty sword coming down to me. I quickly raised my shield and saw how it crumbled to his might landing his hit in my left shoulder. I screamed to the heavens as my arm exploded with blood and a burning pain. He kicked me, sending me flying ten elbows back. My body tumbles in the cold dead earth. I was only stopped by the granite wall of the central temple of the city the major adoration temple of Quetzalcoatl.

As my body lost strength, I saw the constant image of my love with my legacy appear to me and, the world started to darken. Suddenly I heard the voice of my precious Coatlicue say to me “Get up, don’t die. Stand and fight!” Now the sky was in pain crying to the destruction of the earth. I stood up tumbling to my feet and released my sword as I summoned what was left of my strength and rushed fearlessly toward the god. I managed to take him down with a blow that took all my life force away and put my sword to his trout while I tried to recover my breath. His eyes glowed red and yellow mist came out them as he said “Mortal, I shall show you not to temper with the gods!” With a massive roar he transformed into a monstrous Jade wing snake, he swirled himself out from below me and knocked me down with a strike of its tail. I struggled to get on my feet. The serpents strike me with a head-butt through the temple’s wall, falling to the caverns below. I fell into the water with the beast razors taking a shred of my already bleeding shoulder. I force myself through the pain trying to reach shore.

The beast head open the water and roared with a vengeance; my end was imminent because I could no longer move. I closed my eyes and stood my fate. I waited for the impact but instead an incandescent light blinded my mortal eyes. Before me my love collapsed into a divide light as she was torn apart by the jaws of destruction. The sacrifices of her godly blood send back all the repugnant curses Queztzalcoatl fury brought. When the light seemed to dim she was gone and the earth opened its mighty mouth and dragged Quetzalcoatl to the confinements of the earth. I was completely alone. As I ceased to exist, waiting for my eternal rest to join my love ones, peace finally came.

Something was wrong. My pain ceased and my shoulder started to heal, scarring and creating a symbol of a moon and earth. I asked why I can’t join my love one. A voice of many spoke to me from the heavens, “Though her sacrifice was just and gave life again to the earth, you must now forever protect her as she is earth itself now. You’re doomed to walk the earth and wait for the return of the wrath of Quetzalcoatl. “Warrior no one defies the will of the gods and no one goes unpunished for their sins.”

No comments:

Post a Comment